“Workforce Development provides quality services to Bristol Bay residents, promoting individual and family self-sufficiency through employment and educational opportunities, which sustains cultural values, and reflects economic trends of the Bristol Bay Region.”
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
The heating assistance program provides assistance to low-income households. The program is funded by the Federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) block grant. The program runs from November 1st through May 31st. An eligible household may receive one heating assistance grant during this period. LIHEAP Application processing period is November 1, 2021 – May 31, 2022. **Applications will be accepted October 1, 2021 – May 31, 2022**
FY 2022 Income Guidelines – 150% of Federal Poverty
|Household Size||Gross Income in Prior Month|
*For each additional household member add $710.00.
BBNA will process applications in the following priority order:
- Elderly or disabled
- Households with children under the age of six
- All other households
How is the grant calculated? Grants are calculated using a point system. Points are given based on the town you reside in, what type of fuel you use to heat your home, the type of building you live in, your household size and household income.
With this in mind, it is important that you:
- Keep paying your heating bills while waiting for a decision on your application. Making regular payments each month to your electric and fuel vendors will prevent a crisis.
- If you have a payment arrangement with your vendor, keep it. Do not count on heating assistance to keep your heat and lights on.
- Plan ahead now. Set aside some (or all) of your PFD and/or Native corporate dividends to pay for fuel and electric this coming winter (this will not affect your eligibility for Heating Assistance).
- If your household has already applied for FY2022 between (October 1, 2021 – May 31, 2022), and was approved, do not apply again.
- If your household applied between (October 1, 2021 – May 31, 2022), but was denied due to being over the income guidelines, please reapply in a new month if your income decreases.
- Sign up for weatherization. You can find the agency serving your area on the State’s Heating Assistance website: http://www.heatinghelp.alaska.gov
- Put up plastic over drafty windows, weather strip and caulk around doors and windows, put a door sweep on the bottom of your door to stop drafts, use fluorescent bulbs, wrap your hot water heater, and turn down the thermostat on your water heater.
- Put on an extra layer of clothing, or socks and slippers, before turning up your heat.
How long will it take? Our goal is 45 days or less to determine income eligibility for heating assistance.
For more information: contact the BBNA Workforce Development 477 LIHEAP Case Worker by phone at (907)842-2262 or Toll-free 1-888-285-2262 or by email at email@example.com.